Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Request copies of our resources
We are able to provide photocopies or scanned images from our collections as long as the material is of a suitable condition and is not covered by restrictions. Please note that all copies are provided on the understanding that they are for private study and research only.
For a guide to our charges please consult the reprographics price guide.
How to place an order
- Complete the appropriate copy request form (forms are also available from staff in the reading room)
Copy request form (for published material)
Copy request form (for unpublished material)
- Once you submit your request, Archives and Special Collections staff will assess whether the item can be copied, inform you of the cost and advise you on methods of payment.
- On receipt of payment we will process your order – please note it may take several days to process your order.
- If you have problems or have any questions regarding your copy order please contact Archives and Special Collections.
All copying is undertaken in accordance with our policy on copying.
The use of digital cameras and smartphones to capture images of archives and books from the University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections is permitted but please read our guide to Self Service Digital Photography and check with the reading room supervisor on duty for any restrictions.
Digital Photgraphy in the reading room
Self-service digital photography
The use of digital cameras and smartphones to capture images of archives and books from the University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections is permitted.
However, not all archive material can be photographed due to copyright restrictions. Please obtain permission from a member of staff before you take photographs to ensure each item can legally be copied and that no damage will be caused to the item. You will be asked to sign a photography copyright declaration form.
All self-service photography is subject to the following conditions:
- Flash photography is not permitted.
- There is no risk of damage to the original.
- Care should be taken when handling all material.
- Each item to be photographed must be approved by a member of staff.
- Staff reserve the right to prohibit photography if they believe it may cause damage to the item, or the item may not lawfully be copied under current UK Copyright or Data Protection legislation.
- You must not previously have been supplied with a copy of the same material by the University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections staff or by any other librarian or archivist.
- All images taken can only be used for personal use, research and private study or other non-commercial purposes.
- Images must not be published in any form without seeking permission from the University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections.
- No more than 5% of any book, or a single chapter or article from any journal or periodical still in copyright may be photographed.
- For your own safety please do not stand on furniture to take photographs.
- Personal scanners may not be used.
Permission to publish
Request permission to publish
Copies are initially supplied on the understanding that they are for private study and research only. However, researchers may be allowed to publish on the following conditions:
- You must obtain the permission of the University Archivist in advance of publication.
- You must make due acknowledgement in the published work to the University of Strathclyde.
- Any reproduction fee requested must be paid on or before publication.
- Material subject to copyright may not be published without the additional permission of the copyright holder. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain the permission of the copyright holder.
How to request permission to publish:
- Complete the Permission to publish request form giving as much detail as possible. Ensure you sign and date the form.
- Give the form to a member of staff in our reading room, email or post it to us.
- The University Archivist will assess whether permission can be granted and advise you if any charges will be applicable.
Re-use of public sector information
Archives and Special Collections is subject to the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulation 2015 (PSI Regulations). Please see Permission to reproduce Library materials for details of how to make a request for re-use of our information and for details of our charges.